Sunday, September 11, 2011

Never Forget


Ten years ago I was in German class at BYU where my teacher was trying to explain the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center in German. I remember being confused because I didn't fully understand the vocabulary she was using and even when she drew pictures on the board of the twin towers and airplanes, I was still confused. I hadn't been listening to the news or anything before going to class that morning. A classmate in front of me turned around and explained what had happened to me in English. Directly after this class, I was scheduled to attend Russian, but classes were suspended. My classmate and I went to a media center in the JKHB (as it was) and immediately tuned into the news. We watched as the towers fell in complete shock. I believe I was in such shock that I don't really remember feeling anything. Although most of that day was a blur, I can still remember that I went to work at the MTC that day and told my elders about what had been going on. The mother of one of my elders was a flight attendant and he had no idea where she was at that moment. He was understandably concerned. Thankfully, we later learned that she was alright. I don't remember much else, but I do remember ending up at home and sitting for hours in front of the television watching the coverage of the attacks. It wasn't until that point that I learned that there had been separate attacks on the Pentagon and the crash of United Airlines Flight 93 crash in Pennsylvania and the gravity of what had happened that day began to sink in. It wasn't until that point that the tears started flowing. Days later I had reached maximum saturation from being glued to the television coverage of the attack.

Certainly this experience affected me profoundly. Initially it created an enormous sense of fear and uncertainty, even living in far away Utah, and I felt heartbreak for those who had died or been injured and all of their families. Ultimately it engendered a deep feeling of pride in the way the nation came together. Never before had I experienced such a swelling of respect and pride for the United States of America. Say what you will about President George W. Bush and his administration, but I was and am so grateful for the way he led our country in the days surrounding this tragedy. In the years since 2001, I have gained an even greater respect for the men and women working to defend our freedom and protect our country. May Heavenly Father continue to bless them and bring them home safely.

Now living in the DC area, observing the 10th anniversary of such a terrible day is even more poignant. I love living here. I love feeling that same sense of unity with my fellow citizens when walking around DC on any given day, but especially during this significant anniversary. Some have asked if I feel frightened living here when this area is under such heightened security from more terror threats, but as odd as this might be, I have never felt safer. Considering the heightened awareness and precautions (near the Pentagon, the police were pulling over and inspecting all semi-trucks), I feel like there really isn't a safer place I could be. Where were you on 9/11/2001? What are your thoughts as we remember 10 years later?

I pray for the protection of my brothers and sisters defending our freedoms. I pray that we might seek peace and understanding instead of greater division and hatred. I'll let Tiny Tim take us out with his Christmas wish, "God bless us, every one!"

1 comment:

Aaron said...

Thanks for sharing your 9/11 experience. I think it's good for all of us to remember that day together.