Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Bog of Burnsie


I want you to imagine the worst thing that you have ever smelled. No...worse. Got it? Now triple it. Quadruple it. That is what the inside of my car currently smells like. It's like the Bog of Eternal Stench got together with every landfill, decaying roadkill carcass and your stinky, little brother to spawn the most unimaginable funk known to man. Noxious, deadly, poisonous, lethal, toxic, putrid, malodorous, reeking, foul, rank, squalid, decaying, fetid. Nearly fatal, at one whiff it will put you into a hundred year coma. Smelled peripherally, it will merely knock you unconscious for several hours...possibly days and make you incapable of eating for weeks afterward. What's worse…my hands still stink - after vigorous scrubbings and repeated sprays of Glade Fabric & Air, they still stink. You never realize just how many times your hands come near your face until they resemble the odorous equivalent to mass genocide.

How? How is something of this magnitude possible? Would you believe that instead of a can of whoop-a#$, this morning I opened a can of death? As is my usual morning routine, on my way out the door, I grabbed a banana and my can of Safeway brand Weight Loss Shake. As I sat at the light, waiting to turn left out of my neighborhood, I shook up my can and popped it open. Imagine my surprise when it started to fizz and bubble, pouring over the edges like a bad science experiment.

What the? I was immediately greeted by just the edges of a new smell, but it was one I couldn't imagine coming from this can. It didn't smell like bad milk product. Instead it started first as an almost sweet smell and then rapidly progressed to an acrid, deathly gag-inducing cloud of putrescence*. Thankfully, I quickly came to another light, so I was able to open my door and pour the remaining offensive liquid onto the pavement. Unfortunately, I was still left was the offending can and the aftermath of the spillover on my floor mat, drive shaft area and even my pants. I drove the rest of the way with my windows down, but was still unable to breathe through my nose. Oh. I should also mention this. Honestly, I don't know what possessed me, but I kind of think it's a slightly human reaction to just "want to be sure". Because I still didn't quite believe that such an astonishing smell could come from my innocent can of liquid breakfast, I lifted the can to my nose and took a swift sniff. Now, I have a fairly strong stomach. I don't get car-sick. Gross stories don't literally make me want to lose my lunch...but this...ugh. It took an inconceivable amount of control NOT to vomit on my dashboard. But yes. I know. I asked for that one*.

I knew that I couldn't just get to work, abandon my car and run into work, so I called in and told them I'd be late and stopped at the first grocery store I could find. I have now employed the use of some heavy-duty fabric cleaner, 3 liters of water, a scrub brush and about half a bottle of Glade Fabric & Air. Pray for my car, folks. Pray for it. I'm actually afraid that when I get to my car after work, the noxious fumes will have reduced it to nothing more than a slightly steaming hole in the ground. So pray for Burnsie, folks. Also, if you can suggest a place that does good interior detailing for cars, I would be much obliged!

* Thank you Princess Bride.

**Does anyone remember the sketch on SNL with the family sitting around the table and one person opens the carton of milk and goes, "Oh man! This milk is bad! Smell it!" He passes it to the next person who smells it, makes a similar exclamation and thus it is passed from one person to the next...they follow w/ other things like, a broken chair - "Ow! This chair is broken! Sit in it!", etc. If had could have found a clip of it somewhere, believe I would have posted it here! But what on earth IS it about stuff like this, that we have to be sure or seek a second opinion? We humans are weird.

13 comments:

Asian Keng said...

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. Not only was your shake vile beyond vile, you were also cheated out of a breakfast! I hope you do complain to Safeway... it is their responsibility to at least compensate death-defying experiences their customers suffer on their behalf. Maybe you can sue!

Christina said...

Yes. You had better believe it, yes! Safeway owes me the cost of my car detailing. And I'm not even remotely kidding.

Cabeza said...

Oh my gosh this is horrible. Did you save the can for evidence to produce at Safeway customer service? I can't even imagine finishing your commute like that. I have some car Febreeze in my garage that you can have if you need extra fabric help. It's the least I can offer.

Travis said...

It's like "The Beast" from that episode of Seinfeld. "It's in my hair!"

Maria said...

I hope you follow up with Safeway today! That's disgusting and unhealthy and a lot of other things I can't mention in polite company. Sorry you had such a yuck morning. Try this web site for smell eliminating tips.
http://www.wackyhometips.com/smell.htm

Warren said...

In high school my car one day had a funky smell, so I just drove with the windows down thinking it would go away. But it persisted so I started looking for the source. My mom when she went shopping left a gallon of milk in the trunk and it had burst open and I had rotten milk all over the place.

The Shark said...

You know, you never mention in the post whether or not this was a normal thing for this particular weight loss drink.

So what I want to know is... Why have you been forcing yourself to drink this toxin? You should stick to OJ.

Heath said...

Bummer, Christina! The back of our minivan suffered from a leaky milk jug after a grocery run that also produced a horrific stench weeks later (after the stain was supposedly cleaned and gone)...nope, it just metamorphosized into an unbearable putrid bacterial concoction; invisible to the naked eye but sinus-clearingly strong to the naked nose. We tried scrubbing with cleaning products containng bleach, which helped somewhat. But unless you wanted to drive with the windows down all the time (um, yeah, this is Wisconsin weather here), then it kept recurring, like a sneaky little slunk. Eventually, we removed the grocery hold-all container in the back of the trunk, and just kept the seat folded down over the area. It did eventually go away for the most part, but every now and then on a hot, humid day, we sometimes catch a whiff of eau de barf. I FEEL YOUR PAIN!! May your you and your car make a full recovery!!

Christina said...

I've gotten so many responses to this - not just on here, but in email and chat. It would appear that the "rotten milk" car explosion is not a new phenomenon...although I defy anyone who wants to tell me that theirs smelled worse! Not. Even. Possible.

By way of an update: Yes. I most certainly did contact Safeway right away and after jumping through a few hoops, the corporate offices called to ask me to fax them my receipt when I get it. Now, they never actually said that they'd pay for it, but I can't imagine that they would try to stiff me after all this! (Just you try, Safeway! I've got legal representation!! ...ahem...Cabeza...got your bow tie ready?)

Re: my car. Thank heavens the end result is NOT like "The Beast" from Seinfeld! I found a great detailing place that has a procedure called the ozone bomb. How cool is that? It neutralizes the smells and then they close it up for like 24 hrs until the smell dissipates. They had to do it twice. TWICE, people! In the end, they had my car for 4 1/2 days and I've just now been joyfully reunited w/ my little Burnsie! Hooray!! Honestly, I have NEVER seen her insides look so clean! I'm afraid to sneeze in there, for fear of contaminating the perfection. At any rate, all is back to normal and there is no bad smell anymore - not even a trace!! (How miraculous is that?!)

Thanks to all for your suggestions and for your sympathy. And a GIANT thank you to Becca for letting me use her car for the last several days while mine was in the shop. I miss you, Becs, but this couldn't have worked out better. :) THANK YOU!!!! I'll throw out a thanks to Safeway, too, for picking up the $290 tab for cleaning and ozone bombing my car. Can you believe that? Fer sheesh!

Heather S. said...

wait till your kid spits up whole milk for the first time. Or PUKES it up... in his car seat, all over the place... that's a stench that can bring me to vomiting like no other.

Whitleypedia said...

Is that the bog of eternal stench?

Ani B said...

Thanks for the laughs my dear. My only regret is that I was forced to read it rather than have you tell me face to face at 6072. Ozone bomb...I'll have to remember that one.

Whitleypedia said...

Nice bog of eternal stench pic.