Thursday, March 8, 2007

Happy (Belated) Women's Day!

So when I was a missionary in Latvia, one thing I really liked was randomly receiving flowers from people on seemingly random days. They had a lot of them...most of them were some memorial day or holiday I'd never heard of. Anyway, March 8th was another one of these "random" days. I know, today is March 9th, but better late than never, right? Anyway, the first time this happened, I learned that I was receiving flowers for the simple and incontrovertible fact that I am a woman. No, it's true! Well, I was not going to look a gift flower in the...(that doesn't work here, does it?), anyway, I graciously accepted them. It wasn't until later that I learned that this "holiday" extended beyond the boundaries of just Latvia. Actually, I learned that the Latvians themselves weren't the ones keeping it going, but the Russians. Hey, all I cared about was getting pretty flowers from friends and strangers alike! But for those of you interested in learning a bit more about International Women's Day... here ya go. And even though you may be a day late (and a dollar short) go ahead and wish all the women in your life a HAPPY WOMEN'S DAY!!

Oh, and perhaps this isn't necessary to say, but I do take pride in being a woman and support the cause for equality of the sexes and while this makes me a feminist simply due to that fact, I hope I am not mistaken to be (oh I do hate this term) a feminazi. I try to stear clear of any heavily one-sided or fanatical belief system...but I fear that I may be opening a can of worms that I had no interest in opening, so let's just leave it there, shall we? I am, after all, a great fan of the male persuasion! So, down with inequality...long live equality!! And...let's just all get along, k?

3 comments:

Heath said...

Hey Bina
I enjoyed your blog; great job expressing your thoughts! I like the Wikipedia links; that's funny! (and clever!) I think it would be fun to do a family blog. You could probably set it up to allow only certain (all family) email addresses access to it if we wanted it to be private. Not that anyone's going to try to crash it; hee hee.
Love ya, Heather

Heath said...

BTW, Happy Women's Day!!! XOXOXOXO

BLUEYEDBOYS said...

Ya know I like reading yer stuff too. And Happy Women's Day, sistah!
(Er this is Adri)