Wednesday, March 7, 2007

There's a first time for everything

So. After much prodding and wheedling and connivery (yes, it's a real word), I have joined the massive blogging population. The question now is, do I have anything worthwhile to say? Well, sure. I've got plenty of worthwhile things to say...but will I remember to say them here? I dunno. Time will tell. Perhaps a bit more of that coercion might do the trick.

Well, since I'm here I might as well get down to it, eh? So, as a way of introduction (although those reading this, likely know a bit about me), let me just explain that I'm a graduate student, studying Folklore. Yes, folklore. This statement is most frequently met with several questions.

Number one: What is crud is Folklore? Here, you can learn a bit more about it if you're not comfortable with learning from the pros. Eh. I figure it helps to have more than one definition, since I'm continually explaining what it is anyway. I find it quite refreshing to let someone else do it for me. (Follow the links, people! Follow the links!) So. What does this say about me? In my opinion, my study of Folklore says that I'm essentially an adult suffering from ADD. Okay, I'll be a bit more complimentary...my interests are incredibly interdisciplinary. How's that? Literature, film, theatre, music, art, performance, culture, traditions, crafts, languages, history, sociology, anthropology....it's all in there! Anyway, back to the topic at hand. (See, I'm easily distracted...even by myself.)

Number two: What does one do with Folklore? What do I plan to be when I grow up? Well, besides a lounge singer...I just want to take all of my loves and squash them up into a big ball aaaand call it good. I wanna do that. What? You're not satisfied with my dream of becoming a jane-of-all-trades? (I don't feel much like a Jack.) Okay, fine. Well, as surprising as it may be, earning a degree in Folklore doesn't automatically guarantee me gainful employment. If I had my druthers...I think I'd like to go into either public sector Folklore or something dealing more with the performance aspect of Folklore or Folklife, such as storytelling. I really enjoy doing actual fieldwork, but I also really love the performance aspects of different kinds of Folklore. I find it incredibly stimulating and exciting! So there. Better? Whatever, it's my future anyway. You know, I think that may be the first time that I've actually qualified my plans for the future. (Ha! Qualified...) But honestly? I don't think I know enough to know, ya know? It's too soon to tell. Maybe I'll end up being a plumber? I hear that's a very honorable profession.

Number three: How the heck did you get into Folklore? Well...I think it started when I was a wee one and... Okay, I'll condense. Truthfully, I think I've always had a secret love for Folklore, although I didn't know it. I've always loved stories in any form; written, spoken, projected on the silver screen, hanging on the wall of an art museum, coming from my dad's record player...etc., etc. I love it all. I've always felt some kind of connection to these forms of expression. I'm only now realizing that this connection is to more than just the stories themselves, but to the people who create them or pass them on. I think our abilities to tell stories as human beings is what makes the world smaller, more personal. It connects my culture to yours. It gives me a bridge to understand a society that I would otherwise have absolutely no affiliation with. So, in short, it's about people...and their stories. I love that no matter where you go, or where you come from, you come chock-full of your own brand of folklore...family lore, religious beliefs, occupational stories... It's all so exhilarating! I mean, seriously...isn't that cool? And isn't that what makes people love things like just hanging out with friends and talking or watching a talk show or reading the news paper? It's all about the stories that connect us together!

I hope I'm doing a decent job of explaining what it is that I'm in love with, because I basically get one of two responses from those closest to me..."Oh that's great, honey!" *pat-pat-pat* (said while patting my arm, head, whatever and typically with a glazed look of confused sincerity) or "Wow! That is truly fascinating!" (said with absolute sincerity and excitement for my chosen academic field) I do understand that not everyone is going to jump on the Folklore bandwagon with me, but I'm aiming to get as many to the "Wow! That is truly fascinating!" side of things as I possibly can. Mostly, I just want people on this side so they can at least understand why I choose to study what I do. Because in the end, folks...it's all about me. Well, it's about the individual. (But mostly me.)

So there. That completes my first blog...EVER! Comments are most welcome. I'm totally willing and eager to discuss or dispute anything I've said so far. Bring it on.

7 comments:

becks said...

I am proud to call my self one of the "Wow! That is truly fascinating" people! Folklore rocks and people who study it are rock stars. But seriously, we owe more than we think to folklorists. They truly are the preservers and archivers of our culture both past and present. During my undergrad years, I did a project for one of my literature classes on folklore from the southwest region of the U.S. and Mexico. Fascinating stuff! Folklore truly is so embedded in our subconscious our culture that we hardly even know it's there sometimes. So thank you Christina, my favorite folklorist friend, for boldly enlightening the world (or at least your circle of friends) about this ever important subject.

P.S. I think Eunice prefers to be called "Burnsy." :)

Asian Keng said...

Or at least it's fun to read stories out loud at the top of your lungs in weird Scottish accents squashed in the back of a Honda Civic on the way to Camp Greentop.

Welcome, Eunice!!

Joel said...

All I have to say is: blog..blog..blog..bliggety, blog blog.
Uh, yes...that, and nice jaeorb - Eunice Blogenstein.

;) XOXOXOXOX

Christina said...

Becky - Many thanks! I was happy to learn of my own rock star status. Who knew? Oh, and by the way, you just inspired the name for my new car...Burnsie!

Jen - We'll always have Camp Greentop!

Joel - (Or should I say "Kristin"?) Tanks der, Coach Z!

By the way, has anyone caught the reference of the URL - "I learned a new word today"?

ANJ said...

i'm eavesdropping. and i'm glad you fixed the spelling of your url. i'm obsessed with blogs. i'm adding you to my links page.

mwa.

Lane said...

Don't you know the meaning of propriety??

Christina said...

Propriety; noun: conformity to established standards of behavior or manner, suitability, rightness, or justice. See "etiquette."