Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Irony or Disappointment?

"It's like rain on your wedding day
It's a free ride when you've already paid
It's the good advice that you just didn't take
Who would've thought ... it figures"

Thanks, Alanis. So, irony or disappointment, call it what you will...have any of you ever experienced something along the lines of:
  • Getting all geared up for a big game, just to break your leg the day before?
  • Anticipating a vacation so much that you actually make yourself ill (or unexpectedly get sick) and then you're unable to enjoy it?
  • Meeting a person you have read/heard about or communicated with by means other than face-to-face and finding out he/she is either a jerk-face or a total bore?
  • Trying an exciting new food (or even a food you've once enjoyed), only to learn that you're allergic to it?
Unfortunately, I have a story that kind of combines #2 & #4. I had dinner at a friend's house (no hard feelings!) on Sunday and we had some fairly harmless salad. They were build your own salads and one of the available ingredients was mango. Now, I've had mango before (not often, but I have eaten it) and I don't recall any adverse reaction to it. For whatever reason, my body chose to reject it this time....in the form of an itchy rash on my neck and face. So now my once satiny skin has taken on the lovely texture of eczema - lots of little itchy bumpies on my neck and face. I'm gorgeous.

Go ahead...ask me how thrilled I am about this...especially when looking forward to a weekend away at the beach... Thrilled? Oh yes. About as thrilled as I'd be anticipating a root canal. Mercifully, it's really not all that bad...it's itchy, but not unmanageably and it's not really visible. What is most unappealing is the texture of my skin. Blech. So...guess I won't be eating mango anytime soon...or ever again. Grr. Oh and by the way did you know that mango is in the same family as poison ivy? At least I'm not alone. (And no, it is most definitely NOT herpes. No, no, no...I know what a cold sore is...unfortunately very well. Yech.) This is turning into a gross post. My apologies.

Anyway...ever had a similar experience? Tell me either weird allergy stories or sad ironic stories...or any story at all. I'm not picky. I'm just allergic.

12 comments:

Heather S. said...

oh I'm so sorry lady! Hopefully the nice sun and salty air and fun beach time will help get rid of it! You will have SO much fun this weekend, and I'm hoping I will too at the beach in Florida! Yay for us! (See we could've never done this so easily living in Utah huh?) :)

Christina said...

Thanks, friend. It's going away now so I'm sure it will be completely gone in another few days.

And I'm determined to let the sun work it's magic... It IS magic, right?

Have fun in FL! Say hi to Jill and Brent for me! (And yeah...you're tellin' me! I LOVE living out here!) :)

Warren said...

So when are you going to update your picture on the blog so we can all see how you look?

Christina said...

Warren (and everyone else): Here's the picture you requested.
http://www.st-john.k12.nd.us/
Technology/Brandon's%20Halloween%20
Web%20Page/Leatherface.jpg

Oh wait...that was Leatherface...not me. Sorry. Truth be told, I've had no major disfigurements from this mishap...so sorry to disappoint.

Christina said...

I just found this. It made me laugh.
http://allergyadvisor.com/Educational/images/
Mango%20tango45.jpg

Dani said...

So this is bad, I have had reactions to very random things. Green Apples (multiple times and unfortunately they are my favorites), Iced Animal Crackers (not the yummy frosted ones, the ones that are full on icing covered- yep, that's a tough one), and Benadryl. That's right- the drug you take to ease the misery of allergic reactions- I'm allergic to it. Try going to girls camp with Poison (a very bad case) taking Benadryl and then breaking out in hives from the drug. I thought I was going to die. That was not a great year of leadership on my part! Lets just say, I played Job in the skit that year! So so Sad!

Stephanie & Brad Bishop said...

Mango, huh? So sorry about your reaction. I've never had a specific reaction to food--just a LARGE scale break-out before I got married and when I turned 30!
MMMMMMMMMMMMM. Wonder?

Are you stressed?

Stephanie

Unprofessional Chef said...

At work we have to sanitize the ice cream machine after we make mango sorbet because enough people are allergic to it we don't want to cause them undo agony if there are even chance traces of it in the flavor we make next. So, come to the Ritz-Carlton Christina, where your needs are met.

My mom thought I was allergic to sesame seeds for like 10 years of my life and made me get hamburgers from McDonalds and not quarter pounders or big macs because those have sesame seeds, and if I did insist, I had to have it with two bottom buns to avoid the potential disaster. An allergy test in my early teens revealed I wasn't allergic. I think my mom felt a little guilty. She still apologizes for it.

Andrea said...

I'm not really allergic to anything except tree pollen, but I can't eat raw apples. Every so often I try one, thinking that the sick-sour stomach feeling was just my imagination, and then I realize that it wasn't. I can eat them cooked--maybe it neutralizes the acid that bothers me. We can all just be grateful that we're not one of those people who go into anaphylactic shock if we're in the same room as a peanut.

Christina said...

Dani - Poor Job/Dani! That IS sad! I've actually gotten reactions from apples before, although it was more of a skin reaction, rather than an intestinal one (sorry Andrea!). And Benadryl? What a cruel trick. Bleh.

Steph - strange...I had a major break-out when I first moved out here in August (still a good 8 months before turning 30), but yes, I had PLENTY to be stressed about. Now? Not as much, but I don't think that stress is what caused my reaction to the mango. I'm not generally anxious around fruit...generally.

UPC - I definitely need to make a trip to the Ritz-Carlton! But can I come just to taste your plethora of delectable desserts? Hmmm, or if I for some strange reason DON'T make it down to the R-C, can I just partake of your pastry pleasantries another time? Really I'm just trying to score some free dessert here. :)

And I'm not allergic to sesame seeds, but I never liked them on my hamburger buns either. Shoot, I should have tried using allergies as an excuse. Sorry you had to endure the drama, though!

Andrea - No anaphylactic shock! Boo! I'm so glad I don't react badly to peanuts...I don't know what I'd do w/out peanut butter in my life. Sigh.

Megan B said...

I hope you're all healed up by now! All satiny and loverly like you belong :)

Love,
Megan Bradshaw

Christina said...

Hi Megan! Yes, my skin is back to being as smooth as a baby's...uh...nevermind. I'm all better, thanks!

I need to catch up on your blog! Thanks for commenting!